Maritime reconnaissance, anti-shipping aircraft. The tailwheel configuration was replaced by a tricycle undercarriage, addition of a nose entrance hatch, and wingtip tanks to increase fuel capacity. To increase crew comfort the inside was sound proofed, better crew seats and rearranged tactical team positions. The first MR.3 flew on 2 September 1955; the aircraft had problems with stalling characteristics and crashed on 7 December 1956. The variant entered service with 220 Squadron at RAF St Eval in August 1957. The RAF ordered 52 aircraft but later following the 1956 Defence Review it was reduced to 33 aircraft.